Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup

Have you tried gnocchi before? They're delicious little potato dumplings that add an interesting texture to this soup. You can find gnocchi near the dry pasta in the grocery store. They're worth a try! I made this soup for a brainstorming session to plan my next vacation with two friends. The winner---Alaska!

Chicken and Gnocchi Soup

1 cup cooked and diced chicken
16 oz potato gnocchi
1 1/4 cup finely diced white onion
1/2 cup finely diced celery
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup flour
1 quart half and half
1 cup shredded carrots
1 14 oz can chicken broth
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp black pepper (or to taste)

Cook (any method works) and dice chicken. Set aside.

Cook gnocchi according to package directions and set aside.

Combine onion, celery, garlic, butter, and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook until onion becomes translucent.

Add flour to form a roux. Cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes.

Add half and half, carrots, and chicken. Once mixture thickens, add chicken broth. When mixture thickens again, add cooked gnocchi, spinach, and seasonings.

Heat through, and serve.

Serves 6.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like some seriously amazing soup...I MUST try it.
Hello Italian chicken an dumplings :)

The Harried Cook said...

That looks so hearty! I love your presentation!

Great blog... I love it! I am a new blogger & this really inspires me!

Rachel said...

Mmmmm...that looks good. I think I will have to try it.

deadened-glow said...

Your recipe reminded me of a soup in my state of ND. It's called Knoephla. It's also found in MN and SD.
It's also a potato dumpling soup. So tasty.

Kayla - The Pin-Up Girl said...

wow, made this last night for dinner with my friend. We loved it. We only used a pint of half and half (guess we didn't look at the recipe close enough when we went to the grocery store, d'oh!), but it came out fine! Tasted great with a nice sour dough bread. Thanks for sharing!