Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Greek Spaghetti Squash

This is the first time I've cooked spaghetti squash, and I was quite happy with the results. You'll only end up using about 1/2 of the squash for this recipe, so find another spaghetti squash recipe to try as well.


Greek Spaghetti Squash

1 small spaghetti squash
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
2 oz sun-dried tomatoes or 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
2 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
2 ounces sliced olives
2 ounces feta cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use a wooden skewer to pierce holes in the whole spaghetti squash. Place the squash in a baking dish, and cook for 90 minutes. Remove from oven.

In a small saucepan, combine olive oil and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant. Add spinach, basil, and tomatoes. Cook and stir until greens are wilted and tomatoes are warmed.

Cut cooled spaghetti squash in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds, and then a fork to get the stringy "spaghetti" out.

Add olives, feta cheese, and desired amount of spaghetti squash to saucepan. Stir. Serve warm.

Save remaining squash for another dish. I'm experimenting with freezing it--I'll post an update later.

1 comments:

Laura Muir said...

Hi there! I just ran into your cooking site and thought this recipe looked great! I love spaghetti squash! I have never thought of using it with greek ingredients. I love the idea! If you are looking for some other ideas for spaghetti squash with a twist, I love replacing the pasta in italian recipes with spaghetti squash. It is so healthy and tastes great too! Have a great weekend. :) I have a cooking blog too if you want to check it out sometime.

~Laura Muir
www.FreshCookingHappyPeople.blogspot.com