Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Broccoli Cauliflower Salad

The recipe for this salad came from Mary Perkins--a kind old woman who lived up the street from me when I was a child. Mary had an English Setter named Lucky that she was more than happy to let me play with. Every time I have this salad I think of her. Also, this salad is guaranteed to be a winner at pot lucks!


Broccoli Cauliflower Salad

1 head broccoli
1 head cauliflower
1/2 of a red onion
1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 lb shredded Mozzarella cheese

1 1/2 cups Best Foods mayonnaise (yes, the brand matters)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt

Cut broccoli and cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Dice red onion into small pieces. Depending on how large the onion is, I use 1/3-3/4 of it.

Combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, and salt in a small bowl and whisk together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours.

Typically, I refrigerate everything separately overnight and then combine all the salad ingredients immediately before serving. That guarantees crisp vegetables that don't have an overwhelming onion flavor and bacon that isn't soggy.

0 comments: